In addition to standard ULTREX™ UHMW/PE, The Spiratex Company has years of experience modifying base resin with additives to alter performance properties for applications. Some popular custom blends include:
• Enhanced Conductivity ULTREX™ UHMW/PE is achieved by adding a superconductive carbon black, which lowers the surface resistivity range to 105 - 109. The dispersed superconductive additive allows electron movement across the part itself. The product is black in color and is not FDA compliant. This blend is also inherently UV stabilized.
• Hi-Temp ULTREX™ UHMW/PE has a dramatically higher continuous operating temperature (275o F) than our standard ULTREXTM UHMW/PE. Our Hi-Temp ULTREX™ UHMW/PE still has excellent chemical resistance, doesn't absorb moisture, has exceptional wear and abrasion resistance, and meets FDA, USDA, and 3A guidelines. This product is available in a variety of colors, some of which meet FDA, USDA, and 3A guidelines.
• Lubricated ULTREX™ UHMW/PE was developed to have additional lubricity in the form of a continuously regenerating surface film. This is achieved by incorporating proprietary additives into the base UHMW/PE polymer, which are extruded under high pressure. This homogeneous blend of UHMW/PE polymer and normally solid lubricants with a grease yield produces products that are self-lubricating; slowly releasing lubricant at temperatures developed in ordinary use. The extruded product exhibits excellent dimensional stability, good wear resistance, and a surface that is not oily to the touch. Dimensional changes are inconsequential and other desirable properties are unaffected. The standard color for this material is Gray. When used in accordance with the applicable FDA polyolefin regulation 21 CFR 177.1520, it meets the requirements of 2.1 and 2.2 for food contact applications.
• Metal Detectable ULTREX™ UHMW/PE helps food processors and packing facilities reduce the risk of contamination. The unique additives in this product allow it to be easily traced by standard metal detectors while continuing to provide the superior wear and abrasion resistance you would expect from ULTREXTM UHMW/PE. This product is typically available in Blue and Dark Gray colors, although other colors can be selected. This product is FDA compliant.
• Ultraviolet (UV) Stabilized ULTREX™ UHMW/PE is used to slow or prevent UV radiation attacks by dispersing UV stabilizers in the polymer prior to extruding. UV degradation, which is caused by UV radiation, can be a problem in products that are highly-exposed to sunlight or in some cases, artificial sources of UV rays. Continuous exposure for long periods of time is a more serious problem than intermittent exposure, since the attack is dependent on the extent and degree of exposure. Black UV Stabilized material will last 10+ years under normal exposure, whereas Natural colored material will last 5-10 years depending on the application.
• ULTREX™ UHMW/PE with Antistatic Additives reduces the buildup of static electricity caused by the triboelectric effect. The additives leach onto the surface of the material and absorb moisture from the air. The molecules of an antistatic additive have both hydrophilic and hydrophobic areas, similar to those of a surfactant. The hydrophilic side interacts with air moisture and binds water molecules, whereas the hydrophobic side interacts with the surface of the material. The effectiveness of this option is dependent on the humidity of the environment and the leaching of the additive. This material, when used in accordance with the applicable FDA polyolefin regulation 21 CFR 177.152, meets the requirements of 2.1 and 2.2 for food contact applications. This product is available in a variety of colors, some of which are FDA compliant.
• Additional ULTREX™ UHMW/PE blends include:
Antimicrobial ULTREX™ UHMW/PE, ULTREXT™ UHMW/PE with Boron Nitride, ULTREX™ UHMW/PE with Ceramic, ULTREX™ UHMW/PE with Glass Beads, ULTREX™ UHMW/PE with Graphite, and ULTREX™ UHMW/PE with Molybdenum.